Biomass, wood, and paper are pursued for their good combustion capabilities; however, they are also renown for their poor handling properties. Though biomass heating characteristics can be similar to traditional fossil fuels, its low bulk density requires large volumes of material be stored, reclaimed, conveyed, processed, and fed into a process. Paper-based products can include applications in towel/tissue or papermaking for newsprint or magazines, though the papermaking business is experiencing consolidation and reduced demand due to massive growth in electronic publishing. Reliable chip feed to pre-steamers and digesters is a necessity for maintaining market competitiveness.
Our work with the Los Alamos Labs on creating a smart chute to handle biomass in a commercially viable means.
Biomass, Wood, Paper Industry Services
- On-site review of interlocking/flow issues
- Biomass flow properties testing
- Silo, feeder, and chute design
- Pneumatic conveying testing of biomass
- Lock hopper, pre-steamer vessel design
- Solids pump® or mass flow screw supply
- Structural design of storage silos or bins
- Modeling of prototype biomass process
Whether you are reclaiming biomass for co-firing or direct combustion, feeding bio-feedstocks for thermochemical reactions, or converting biofuels or recycled content into syngas or liquid fuels, Jenike & Johanson can help you achieve reliable material flow and required throughput.