The battery and power storage industry is rapidly growing, particularly with the rising popularity of electrical/hybrid vehicles and consumer electronics (e.g., smart phones, tablets, wearable technology, rechargeable batteries, etc).
With increase in global demand and the need for high yield use of raw ingredients such as Lithium (Li), Cobalt (Co), Nickel (Ni), and Graphite, proper bulk solids handling is critical, in order to deliver batteries with a uniform, reliable, consistently high charge density, and long life.
Batteries and Power Storage Industry Services
- On-site review and root cause assessment of flow problems
- Conceptual and detailed engineering design of storage vessels, press hoppers, and feeders
- Pneumatic conveying system testing and design
- Handling system scale-up and automation assistance
Common Battery and Power Storage Industry Challenges
Jenike & Johanson provides the knowledge, expertise and experience of how powders behave. Whether it’s blending, storing, transferring, granulating, or cell formation our engineers know how to ensure successful processing.
Several consequences of poor material handling include:
- Poor material flow out of a press feed hopper can bottleneck production, and require frequent operator intervention.
- Excessive particle attrition (i.e., breakage) as a result of improper material handling affecting the particle size distribution and adversely influencing the compaction process and resulting pellet strength.
- Improper material handling can also lead to ingredient segregation and bulk density variations, which in turn can cause out-of-spec cell chemistry and poor compaction.
These issues can lead to quality deviation, cell overheating, and degraded battery life and performance.
Common Materials Handled
We have been designing bulk handling systems for over 50 years. Below list is just a small sampling of the material we’ve handled for clients in the Batteries and Power Storage industry.
- Cathode powder blends
- Anode powder blends
- Manganese-based powers, including tronox (electrolytic manganese dioxide)
- Cathode granulate
- Cathode pellets
- Solvent aids
Battery and Power Storage Industry Clients
We successfully provide bulk material engineering services in the Battery and Power Storage Industries.